Christmas trees are the main decorative centerpiece in many homes during the holiday season, but did you know that they can cause illness? Physicians call it Christmas Tree Syndrome, and this allergic reaction affects hundreds of people each year. Here are signs that your tree is making you sick.
Christmas Tree Allergies
Seasonal allergies are very common, but if you find it increasingly difficult to breathe inside your home after putting up your Christmas tree, you may need to take it out of the house. As live trees age, more bacteria, mold, and spores grow on them and spread through the air. These irritants cause respiratory problems and can even make you feel fatigued. Consider having the air inside your home purified by a professional if you find that you’re allergic to your tree.
You Feel Itchy
While some people with tree allergies experience trouble breathing, others develop skin irritation. The fungus and pollutants that increase as live Christmas trees age can cause rashes, hives, and an irritating itchiness. If your skin troubles persist after you’ve gotten rid of your live tree, it’s best to head to a doctor for treatment.
Sneezing Fits and Coughing
Sneezing and coughing are actions used by the body to get irritants out of the nose and throat. If you find yourself coughing or sneezing significantly more since bringing a live tree into your home — and you’re not suffering from a cold or the flu — you could be having an allergic reaction. Solve the problem by removing the tree and getting an artificial one.
Guarantee Clean Indoor Air With WEATHER ENGINEERS
If your Christmas tree has lowered the indoor air quality in your home, Weather Engineers can help. We offer HVAC maintenance, repair, air duct cleaning, and air purification to remove irritants from your house and help you breathe easy again. Contact Weather Engineers today to get your home ready for the holidays.
Leave a Reply